Historical information

Historical information

The University Ecclesiastical Academy (UEA) of Vella of Ioannina constitutes continuity of the Upper Church School of Vella of Ioannina which was the educational continuity of the Seminary of Vella of Ioannina.

The School of Vella of Ioannina was founded in 1911, by the Metropolitan Bishop of Vella and Konitsa Spyridon Vlachos who afterwards became Metropolitan Bishop of Ioannina and later Archbishop of Athens and all Greece, and operated as a Seminary. It carries along a rich educational history and completes one century of educational contribution. Its foundation purpose was the education of Priests and Teachers in order to serve mainly the districts of Epirus and generally the remote regions of Greece.

Metropolitan Bishop of Vella and Konitsa ‘kyros’ Spiridon Vlachos

The operation of the School of Vella of Ioannina, during its centennial educational presence is divided into the following phases:

  • Clerical School of Vella from 1911 to 1924, with a four-year program of studies (Seminary type).
  • Rural Seminary of Vella Monastery from 1927 to 1939, with a five-year program of studies.
  • Seminary of Vella Monastery from 1939 to1969, with a six-year program of studies.
  • Seminary of Vella from 1969 to 1977, with a six year program of studies.
  • Ecclesiastical Pedagogical Academy of Vella from 1977 to 1989, with a three-year program of studies.
  • Upper Ecclesiastical School of Vella from1993 to 2006, with a three-year program of studies [and from 2001 to 2006, with six (6) semesters of studies at the Technical Educational Institution -TEI- level]
  • University Ecclesiastical Academy of Vella of Ioannina, from 2006 until today, with eight (8) semesters of studies and with two programs of studies: a) Program of Clerical Studies and b) Program of Ecclesiastical Music and Chanting

In the year 1985, by Law 1946, the two-year Pedagogical Academies were promoted to Pedagogical Departments. By the same law, the Ecclesiastical Pedagogical Academy of Vella of Ioannina was transformed into a net Seminary under the title Upper Church School of Vella of Ioannina, with three-year studies. Its operation lasted up to the academic year 2006-2007.

Later, Law 3432/ 2006 renamed the Upper Church School of Vella of Ioannina to University Ecclesiastical Academy (UEA) of Vella of Ioannina (as it also happened with the other three equivalent Schools of Athens, Thessaloniki, and Heraklion of Crete), upgrading it to a Higher Class School, with four-year studies.